When purchasing luxury leather goods for sale online, looking after the purchase is one of the tasks which can make such a piece timeless. Looking after and treating well can help the product live for many years to come and looking its best. You must remember leather is a living material, which requires care and attention to help it withstand the test of time. Here are some steps you can take to keep your product looking new and healthy. Any doubts or concerns we advise you to consult a specialist.
What to avoid doing that can harm and damage your leather product.
- Leather is a skin, to maintain is original shape and silhouette we recommend your do not overfill your product whether it’s a wallet, purse, or handbag. Doing this will cause the leather to stretch.
- Even if your leather is deemed scratch resistant. We highly recommend you take care in avoiding your product to rub up against any abrasive surfaces or sharp objects, failing to do this can result in unwanted imperfections ruining your timeless piece.
- We advise to avoid leaving your leather next to the window for long periods of time to keep your product away from direct sunlight. This can cause it to fade and crack over time and result in uneven patina.
- We strongly suggest keeping your leather away from any artificial heat like a radiator, inside a hot car or fire. This can cause shrinking, cracking and hardening which can result in permanent damage.
Now for general care for your product.
- On a regular basis, wiping down your leather product with a warm damp cloth is a good idea. Doing this on a regular basis will keep the leather clean and looking at its best. You should never use soup or solvents as this may cause an irreversible reaction to the leather.
- If you want to take the extra step, using a leather conditioner occasionally will help rehydrate the leather making it less likely to crack or harden and even help moisturise it back to life.
If your leather gets wet, take immediate action by dabbing with a soft, absorbent cloth and leave to dry naturally, in a cool dark place. Failing to take quick action can result in staining and marking of the leather depending on the type of leather you have. Applying leather conditioner when the leather has dried can help bring the leather back to original condition. DO NOT try to dry the leather out with artificial heat like a radiator as stated previously.
Things to note.
Leather is a natural material, so you may find the surface can show irregularity or some minor variations in colour or even the occasional small imperfections. This is part of having high quality leather and shows truly how natural of a product it is.
When comes the time to store your leather piece away to be kept safe and preserved for a special occasion, it is best to be placed in a dust bag to prevent it becoming scratched and avoid the build-up of dust. Doing this will give you the reassurance that your leather is safe and protected till its next occasion.